Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Night Time Wonderments

Do you ever have those moments when you start to wonder the weirdest things, regardless of what you should be doing?

Jeff and I are trying to go bed early, which for us means going upstairs at 10:00, instead of 11:00 or later. We've been fairly successful, so I'm pretty happy, and it's made getting up in the morning not such a horrible prospect. However, there are those times when I just lay there, and my mind starts to whirl, and poor Jeff has to listen to my "wonderments".

So, last night it's really quiet, and we had just started to really relax, when, after a thought-train (you know, when you start with one thought, and then that leads you to another, and then to another, and on and on, until you arrive at something completely and totally unrelated?), I bust out with, "Why doesn't Whoopie Goldberg have eyebrows?" Jeff did a vocal double-take, and says, "Wha . . .? I have no idea. Why don't you put it in your blog?" And then he turned over and was breathing deeply in about 2 seconds.

Out of sympathy for his need to sleep, I let it go, so I'm taking his advice and putting it to you, my blog readers. Why doesn't Whoopie Goldberg have eyebrows? Is is a cultural thing? A nod back to an ancient custom of the Egyptian courts? A comedienne thing? Is it on purpose or the result of a medical condition? A fashion statement? Has she ever had eyebrows? Like I said, just something I was wondering.

Oh, and I should tell you, the whole Whoopie Goldberg/eyebrow thing came about because I was thinking about the new DVD I just got for our family that has Warner Bros. and MGM studios Oscar nominated shorts, and then that made me think about the other Warner Bros. cartoon collections that I have, and then I thought about the disclaimer that all the discs have about the racial jokes and misogynistic themes, etc., not being appropriate, but that they aren't going to take them out of the shorts because the cartoons are a product of their times, and they're not going to pretend that it never happened, and did I believe that explanation or not, and that when I was a kid I didn't get any of the jokes and sight gags, but now that I'm a "grown-up" I'm really kind of surprised at the things that they put in there. And for one of the collections they don't just have screen for you to read, but Whoopie Goldberg does this whole schpiel of explanation. Which then made me think about her eyebrows.

Just in case you were wondering.

4 comments:

  1. Honestly, I've never noticed that she doesn't have eyebrows. According to the latest cycle of ANTM makeovers, having very pale almost-invisible eyebrows is sort of in, but then, that's Tyra Banks, so can we really trust that?

    I think I'll have to watch Sister Act 2 again, just to verify.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh. I never even noticed that she didnt have eyebrows and I watch her everyday on the View. How funny. Maybe we dont see them because she always has hair in her eyes and she wears dark glasses all the time. How come guys fall asleep so easy? I swear the moment we go to bed Chris is asleep, and then I am awake for another hour doing the same thing as you with one thought leading to another and so on:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressed by your thought processes. I'm asleep before I close my eyes. Seems like I might be missing out on some important deep thinking time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the world of ten o'clock bedtimes! You'll never go back. As for Whoopi, I echo others' comments. I never noticed the no-eyebrow thing. How observant you are! She doesn't strike me as the fashion statement type, so I'm thinking it's not some trend in which she's dabbling.

    ReplyDelete