Saturday, September 12, 2009

It's not you, it's me...

Have you ever heard the old adage that if you have had 1 really difficult roommate, then it's probably their problem; if you've had 2 or 3 difficult roommates, then it might be your problem; but if you've had more than 3 difficult roommates, then it's definitely your problem?

Well, people's comments about my last post have made me pause for a moment of self-reflection, and I think, ya know, it might not be everyone else? Perhaps I need to take a step back from the Chicago driver that I am, and enjoy a little more southern hospitality. Maybe.

I'm willing to concede that it might not be such a great idea to be uber-agressive, especially because I want to also be a safe driver. Not to mention that I don't want my insurance to go up, for any reason.

However, to answer your question, I have only gotten 3 tickets in my entire life (that I remember, anyway), and only 2 of those were for speeding. But I must admit, I got one of the tickets because I rear-ended someone while getting off the tollway (Eastbound I-90, getting off on the Rt. 53 exit towards Woodfield Mall, for those who happen to know Chicago roads), more than likely because I was going too fast, so I'm willing to concede that speeding was definitely a contributing factor.

And it's not really that I drive that fast, really, but I do drive with quite a bit of impatience. But growing up in Chicago, that's how you do. After all, you know you're from Chicago if . . .
  • You measure distance in minutes
  • You know that the minimum acceptable speed limit on the tollway is 75 mph. Anything less is considered downright sissy.
  • You know that Chicago has it's own version of traffic rules called, "Hold on and Pray"
  • You know that the far left lane is the PASSING lane, and you know how to use it (meaning, you don't just hang out there!!!!)

So, all I'm saying is that I'm a product of my culture. However, I am also willing to admit that my way is not the only way, and maybe I need to just relax; be a little more zen about the whole thing. It would be nice, after all, not to yell at other drivers for being slow, or pound the steering wheel in frustration, or arrive somewhere in a bad mood because everyone around me is acting like such a moron. And who knows, maybe I might even start to enjoy how people drive here.

Ok, probably not, but I'll let you know how it goes. :o)

1 comment:

  1. Katie, I am so glad you are posting again. I 100% agree with you about Chicago driving. I think Driving is a tedious chore and I take it personally if people are driving lazily and wasting my time.
    I am maybe too aggressive also, but if everyone would just pay attention and follow the rules, we could all get to where we were going. And I miss Chicago roads too, no where else could you cross 5 lanes of traffic just because you turned on your blinker (yes I have done it, if you turn on the blinker people magically let you over).

    ReplyDelete