Monday, September 7, 2009

Driving Pet Peeves

Well, it's that time of year again; the pools have closed, the nights are a little cooler, and a few leaves have even started to change color. Yes, school has started back up, and you all know what that means: stupid drivers!!!!

As I am necessarily driving more--back and forth to carpool, to the gym, etc.--I am reminded once again that people don't drive the way that they should. That is, they don't drive like me. :o)

Instead of just screaming while I grind my teeth in frustration and wringing my hands on the steering wheel in an attempt to not plow into the person in front of me out of frustration, I thought I would do a quick vent, and put down just my top 3 driving pet peeves.

1. Drivers who don't go the speed limit. Come on!!! If it says 45, that's because you can safely go 45!! They checked and everything! And if you're going 5 under, DON'T obstinantely stay in the left lane (which is called the "passing lane" for a reason!), because "everyone should learn from your example."
--Corollory to Pet Peeve #1 are those drivers who go the exact same speed as the car next to them on a two lane highway, thus making it impossible for anyone to get around them. Arrrrggghhhh!!!!!!

2. Drivers who don't go right when the light or arrow turns green. I know, we've all been there, you're waiting at the light, not paying attention, when, whoops. . . but if you're the first person, you have to pay attention!!! If you don't, and then you get through, but hardly anyone else does, well, that's just selfishness. You have an obligation to make sure that as many cars get through the light as possible. Particularly the light on Louisburg, turning left onto Fox Rd. Which is, funnily enough, where Fox Road Elementary School happens to be.

3. Drivers who don't pull up all the way to the line at a red light. This is something that I still have never understood in my 7 years of living in North Carolina. And it's something that I have only seen in North Carolina.
Why do they leave room for an entire other car in front of them? Is there a ghost car? Are they leaving room for another car that might want to come to the light at the last minute? Is this a gross miscarriage of the famous southern hospitality that North Carolina is famous for? What possible purpose does it have? Other than giving me an aneurysm, of course.
I have noticed that 9 times out of ten (but not every time) it is an older driver that does this inexplicable thing, so I think that it must have been a misprint in the Student Driver Education manual that got handed around until they finally got the state funds to reprint the books several years later. Just a theory.

Well, I feel better, having gotten that off my chest, and I hope you do to. And any of you with information (especially about that NC oddity I mentioned) feel free to comment away. :o)

3 comments:

  1. I can't stop laughing. I have something to say about your driving. On Sunday mornings we often meet up at the same light turning left onto New Bern. My boys beg me for the next four miles or so to please catch up and pass the Christensens and I can't do it - although I usually attempt. You are too fast!!! Too speedy! You shoot off of green lights like a bullet and never stop. We want to know (as we despairingly lose the church race each Sunday) how many tickets do you have??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taye is sitting next to me and he wants to know just how fast your car really goes??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sympathize.

    I learned to drive in Florida, where there were always lots of "snowbirds" on the roads. During tourist season, it seemed like half the drivers on the road were over seventy years old and going fifteen miles under the speed limit.

    Naturally, I'd rather they be too cautious than too reckless, but it could get frustrating.

    ReplyDelete