Friday, February 13, 2009

My Trippy False Alarm

Hey everyone, just to keep you updated, we had a false alarm Wednesday night, but that's all it was. I started having what I thought were fairly strong (couldn't talk through them) contractions about 7:00, or so, and fairly regular (5 min apart) so after we put the kids to bed we called the doctor, and went to Rex about 9:30. Well, they checked, and I was still only at almost a 2, so we walked around for an hour or so, and then the doctor checked again, but I was only at a 2, maybe a 2 1/2, and I just wasn't progressing, so about 12:45, they sent us home. SIGH. . .

I'm glad that I didn't have the baby, because it would have been early, and I firmly believe the longer you can keep the baby inside, the better (within reason, of course: once the due date is here, his lease is up!), BUT once you get to the hospital you think that you're going to come away with a baby. We got all geared up and excited, and then, nothin'. It really is good, because he's obviously not ready, it was just very disappointing.

Oh, but this was a funny part to the story: When we were discharged my doctor gave me an Ambien (sleeping pill) so that I would be able to relax and sleep until the contractions petered out. As the nurse was giving it to me she said that it wouldn't really knock me out, just get me relaxed. Well, since extra-strength Excedrin is the most serious medication I ever take, I guess it hit me harder than they thought. On the 12 minute ride home I started being unable to focus, and then was seeing double, and then completely zonked out. Jeff had to practically carry me into the house (no mean feat) and I apparently started spouting gibberish to our sweet neighbor who had come over to be with the kids while we were at the hospital. I don't remember anything about coming home, just leaving the hospital. I guess I should be glad that I don't have any real sleep issues, because apparently I can't hold my medication. :o)

Oh, I have been told that my last pictures of the horror that is my cankles didn't do them justice, so I took a comparison picture to let you know how NOT normal my feet/legs are. Now, in the spirit of complete disclosure, I should tell you that Jeff has better ankles than me even when I'm not pregnant (isn't that sad?), but they're not this bad! Anyway, it can give you an idea.
I am also including a couple of pictures of my puffy feet at the end of the day. As Jeff says, "that's just not right."
Well, I'll let ya'll know if anything actually happens, but as of right now, we're just waiting around.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you posted, I came lucky to see if you had had Benjamin yet. I think you are wise though to keep him in as long as he needs. I had the exact same problem with medication, they gave me Ambian with Cole (becuase of the same situation) and I was totally wacky. Stephen says I was sloppily crying until I feel asleep and I don't remember much about that night. Well Hang in there the Cankles will disappear ASAP. Love you, Emily

    ReplyDelete