Friday, October 3, 2008

Kelcey has Cold Sores! (Sort of)

I thought that would get your attention. :o) Ever since Sunday Kelcey has been running a low fever and complaining that her mouth hurt. I thought she was teething, maybe getting her last baby molars, but then the last couple of days I noticed that her gums were really red and swollen. I called the doctor to make sure that nothing was really wrong, and as soon as I said that her gums were red and swollen, the nurse said, "How far away do you live? Do you think you could be here in 20 minutes?"

Of course, I freaked out, and berated myself the whole way to the doctor's office for not calling the very first time I noticed her gums. There's always such a fine line between being the over-protective mom who goes to the doctor for anything and everything, and being the neglectful mom who doesn't go to the doctor unless their child is bleeding profusely, or has a broken leg or something. Sigh. . . I can never get it right.

Anyway, it turns out that Kelcey has the cold sore virus, or Herpes Simplex I. Not the STD, obviously. I have cold sores occasionally, and I was afraid that the kids would have them too, but I was relieved that Jarom and Taran seem to have dodged the bullet. Not Kelcey unfortunately. I also learned that the first time that little kids gets the cold sore virus they don't actually get cold sores. Instead, they do what Kelcey is doing: their gums get really really dark red, and swollen. It's really painful, and I feel so bad for her. Here's a picture for illustration. She's such a trooper, and I'm not making it any easier, am I? :o) So she's on Amoxicil four times a day, plus the doctor prescribed Tylenol with Codeine for nighttime. Knocks her out completely, which is a good thing, because she hadn't been sleeping well for since Sunday--ergo, neither was I. Unfortunately this virus is a lot like the chicken pox virus, and it's going to last for 14 days all together, so she's just going to have to suffer through it. Poor thing. I wish there was more I could do that would help her feel better. She hates taking the Amoxicil, so I have to hold her down on the floor to squirt it into her mouth. Not exactly soothing, is it? So just a little more than week to go. I'm sure we'll both survive, but I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment