Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Why I should never let Great Clips cut my girls' hair

You faithful readers might remember a post that I wrote a while back, saying that I will not cut Taran's hair again, because I just butchered her the last time that I did it. Well, I have also found out that I should never let Great Clips cut it either.

Last week, on Veteran's day, the kids had the day off school, and so I decided to take them to get their haircut. I couldn't let myself pay a bunch of money for a haircut, since I used to do it myself, for free. So it was off to Great Clips we go! Well, they did a fine job with Jarom's hair (I mean, how many ways is there to screw up a basic boys haircut?) but the lady totally screwed up Taran's hair.

I really only wanted the back to be evened out, so that it was a classic bob. You know, all one length, all around. And you'd think that a professional would be able to understand that basic direction, wouldn't you? Well, you'd be WRONG!!! Somehow she ended up cutting it shorter (even though I didn't want her to cut any length from the front at all) in the front than the back, so that the front was just as short as when I butchered her the last time, but the back was still longer, and kind of pointed, so that it was like one haircut in the front, and a different one in the back. I can't even describe it, it was so weird. Plus, it wasn't even straight! I did my best to even out the back, but I didn't want to touch the front, because it was so short already. But just yesterday I noticed that when you look at Taran straight on, one side was shorter than the other side!! AAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I swore that I wouldn't cut Taran's hair myself anymore, but I actually think it's better for all concerned. Because it might end up short when I cut it, but it will at least be even, and cute! And one hour of frustration for Taran and me is better than me constantly trying to fix a bad haircut. I think I've done 3 "fixers" and I'm probably going to have to do another one, now, to fix the front.

And the worst is that I was hoping to get her a really cute, professional haircut before Christmas with everyone in Utah. Instead, this Christmas will live through history as the one where I will look at the pictures, and think, "Man, Taran's hair is awful looking!" And it's so short that I don't think that even if I shelled out the bucks for a really good haircut they could do much. SIGH . . .

And on a not-related-at-all-note, I am sorry, but I will not be able to post much the next little while. I am working on making presents for Sus, Olesia, and Natalia, and scanning the pictures for my mom's photo album/Christmas present, and I'm also putting together a slide show for my Dad's 60th birthday with Susannah. She's willing to help out with music choices, and whatever else she can do, but since she's in Paris, and I have all the pictures, I pretty have to do the heavy lifting on this one.

Anyway, the point is, the next month is going to be pretty busy, and if I'm sitting in front of the computer, I should be doing something productive, so that I won't go crazy meeting my deadlines. Because even though posting is more fun than scanning picture after picture, I can't really give my mom a blog for Christmas. If I can get my act together, and I finish my projects early, than I will return sooner rather than later. However, if they take longer than I anticipate, (like it always does) than I will start posting after Christmas with a report of our holiday activities.

So far on the calendar we have planned a great weekend of decorating and tree-getting after Thanksgiving, plus going on a hayride to look at lights, and even a Christmas party with pretty much everyone in the ward invited (I'm hoping that a bunch of people have other plans, but I just couldn't not invite friends, and people that I work with in the Primary). Anyway, have a wonderful holiday season, and I'll catch you on the flipside!!

2 comments:

  1. I understand the need to take a bit of a blogging break, but just wanted to say how much I've loved seeing what your family is up to in real-time. I feel a lot more connected and knowledgeable.

    Also... if you were so inclined, you could always just upload a picture or two of the events you guys have, without much commentary if it's faster. If you wanted to, you know. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, once I read "Great Clips" I knew it was going to be bad. Just so you know they are told to do hair cuts on a time schedule, and a normal person would check the haircut to see if it is even, but when time is tight they tend to skip that part. The good thing is that hair grows really fast on kids (3/4" in a month)so maybe it will be better by Christmas.

    ReplyDelete