Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My Relaxing Day at the Spa

Ok, ladies, can I brag about my husband for just a second? Last Christmas for a big surprise gift Jeff got me a gift certificate to the Spa by Mitchells (the one in Triangle Town Center, by Moe's) for a massage, a pedicure, and a manicure, with lunch included. I made an appointment for sometime last March, but then our entire family go the flu, so I had to reschedule. Well, I got pregnant, and then I couldn't/didn't reschedule until last weekend. But it was a good thing, actually, because they had a mother-to-be massage, which I couldn't have taken advantage of until this month, or so. Jeff not only got me the gift certificate, but he took care of the kids for the afternoon so that I could be completely free.

Well, can I tell you, IT WAS FABULOUS!!! I admit, my experience with spas and massages has been fairly limited (only two other massages in my life, one was good, and one, not so much) but Mitchells really has got it right. Everything was quiet, clean, with low lighting, and soft music, and I just loved every minute of it. The changing room had very nice amenities, and their robes had a very nice snap closure thing, so there wasn't any embarrassment.

My massage was first. Because I'm pregnant the massage chick (is there a technical term?) had me lay on my left side supported by pillows from head to toe, almost like I was snuggling up to sleep. The bed was heated and there were just enough blankets that I was perfectly comfortable. She only moved the blankets off of the body part she was working, so I was never cold, or felt exposed at all. And even though I was lying on my side, she was able to get everything (appropriate, that is) except the left shoulder that I was lying on. And let me tell you, was she good! When we first started she told me that she was pregnant too, so I felt guilty having her do my massage, but then I realized that she was sitting in an office type chair, and moving it all around the table, so she didn't have to stand up. That helped me feel a lot better. :o) I tell you that I was so completely relaxed by the end of that massage, that I think I might have even drooled a little.

After the massage they gave me a heated neck pillow, and then brought me into this elegant little room with a table for my lunch. I had a grilled chicken wrap from the Twisted Fork (SO yummy! I definitely need to go there with Jeff) along with a fruit salad and a lovely goblet of cranberry/grape juice. I totally didn't mind being in the room and eating by myself. I can't remember the last time I've been completely by myself for so long. It was so quiet and peaceful and relaxing. Do you see a theme here? :o)

After that I got dressed and went for my mani/pedi. They did the pedicure first, and it was much more relaxing than the normal pedicures that I get in nail salons, because they were all about the "spa experience" and took their time with each of the steps. Plus, they didn't use that buffing block on the bottoms of my feet that always makes me laugh. Ditto with the manicure.

The whole thing took about 3 hours, but it felt like even longer. In a really good way. All I can say is that I have an incredible, wonderful husband, and I would love to do something like this on a semi-regular basis. I think every mom should. So, women, if you have the means and the opportunity, hie you to the spa!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment