Saturday, August 4, 2012

Welcome, Alyssa Rose!

So, I was induced on my due date, which was fantabulous--not having to wait another week to be induced, that is.  We delivered at Wake Med, which I was a little nervous about, I have to admit, it being the county hospital and all.  But I shouldn't have worried, because it was fine.  Better than fine, actually. 

The delivery went very smoothly, and the nurses were fantastic--both the delivery and recovery nurses.  The rooms were nice and the food was actually pretty good.  Unfortunately, they have this dumb rooming-in policy, so you can't have the baby stay in the nursery overnight. But, on the whole, I had a good experience.


Of course, the best part was that at the end of it all, we had Alyssa.  She was born on July 24th, at 4:40 pm.  I think it is so cool that her birthday is Pioneer Day.  She will have so much fun whenever we are out visiting my parents for July 24th.   I mean, who wouldn't love parades and fireworks on their birthday? 

Really, the most overwhelming feeling that we've had is just how glad we are that she's finally here.  As I held her I just kept thinking, "You're here!  You're here!  Oh, I'm so glad you're here!!!!"  It's the most amazing feeling: now that she's here, we're not waiting for anyone else to come.  Our family is complete.  There are no empty chairs.


She's such a good baby too.  She nurses really well, has naps at generally convenient times, and even just gets up once during the night.  I am just holding my breath, praying that she doesn't switch at 3 weeks to this other thing that I can't help, and I can't understand.

I pray all the time that I'll be able to continue to enjoy her so much, that colic won't interfere with her well being--or mine, for that matter.  Because I feel like myself, surprisingly.  Admittedly, I burst into tears at the drop of a hat, or if there's a sad commercial, etc., but in general, I feel emotionally ok.  Compared to the nightmare that I experienced after Ben was born, this is a dream come true.

I actually don't mind when she wakes up from a nap, or if she's fussy, because I know I can sooth her.  I get so happy when I see her little eyes open, and I know that I get to hold her.  I'm so glad she's here!

4 comments:

  1. Welcome Alyssa! She looks beautiful. Katie may I say how awesome you look. You can't tell that you just had a baby! I'm so happy everything went so well. We can't wait to meet her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You both look beautiful.

    Plus, you made it!

    ReplyDelete