Friday, February 11, 2011

Yes, it's Come to THAT

And by THAT, I mean, I have finally admitted that I can not lose the last 15 pounds on my own, and I actually joined Weight Watchers. 

I have always been able to lose weight after babies on my own, mostly just by eating low-fat, and exercising.  But this time around, it hasn't been working.  Benjamin is almost 2 and I have been doing my regular diet thing, and so far, nothing. 

Well, no, not nothing, but certainly not back down to my pre-pregnancy weight. 

As far as the exercising thing goes, I walked at the mall a whole bunch, and then I have been working out for almost an hour every weekday since August.  Jeff got religion on the whole exercising thing after our last  reunion in Tillamook with his family, and so he has been really serious about weights, and cardio, the whole shebang.

I have been working out with Jeff, even doing his "manly" workout that our brother-in-law who used to be in the military put together (albeit with much lighter weights) and we both do the 30 minute Tae-bo Cardio  (a huge shout-out to Lexi who turned me on to these videos back in the trailer court), and then we do abs.  By all counts, I should be down to a size 6 by now, but again, nada. 

Well, no, not nada, I have gone from a 12 to a 10, but, again, not what I used to do.

The really frustrating thing is that Jeff has lost almost 20 lbs, and looks fantastic, but I have stayed pretty much the same.  I am happy for him, truly, and so proud of him that he's so consistent, but I wished that I could share in the success, you know?

ANYWAY. . . this all boils down to the fact that I was feeling extremely desperate a couple of weeks ago, and I was about to do something really stupid, like start taking hydroxycut, or xenadrine.  Thankfully I talked to my mom, and she helped me see that a better thing to do would be to start keeping better track of the amount that I eat, and that I needed to use the Word of Wisdom as my yard stick when it came to picking a weight-loss system, not just an infomerical.

Which then led to the aforementioned decision to sign up with Wieghtwatchers.  I'm doing the one that's online, so I don't go to any meetings, but so far, it seems like it's perfect for me.  The new program, PointsPlus, counts fat, carbs, fiber, and protein, so it helps me eat better nutrition, which I want to do anyway, and it encourages me to keep track of other healthy things, like drinking so much water, eating so many fruits and vegetables, milk products, etc.  Plus, it helps me keep track of working out, which I also love.

Keeping track of how much I am eating is so empowering, and has really let me know that even though what I was eating wasn't too bad, it did have too much sugar, and I was eating too much of it.  I was drinking a lot of empty calories in juice, because I like flavored drinks, and the fastest thing was to just grab the juice that we keep in the fridge door.  But now I have a huge container of Crystal Light that I keep perpetually filled, and whenever I'm thirsty, that's what I go for.  And even though I'm eating less, not so much snacking, etc., I don't feel deprived, which is very important.

And so, the real question is, how is it working?

Well, I've been doing it for 2 weeks now, and I've lost 3 pounds!  That might not seem like a lot, but I'm less now than I have been since I got pregnant.  When I started the program I was 158.5 (a weight that I had been for months) and this morning I was 155.5.  And that's real weight lost!

Last Monday I weighed myself and I was 154, but it was after fast Sunday, and I had already worked out, so I had more water loss.  So it wasn't truly fat lost.  Even though I was a little disappointed about that, I am very excited about the trend, and am totally excited about continuing.

I'll give you another update next Friday!

2 comments:

  1. I dream about weighing 155. Good luck! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck, Katie. If anyone can do it, I know you can.

    ReplyDelete