Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Happy Anniversary indeed!!!

Ok, ladies.  This is going to be one of those posts where you either think, "Awww, that is so great," or you think,"Awwww, why can't my husband do that kind of thing?"  But just don't get into any marital spats because of me, 'k?  Because I have got to seriously brag on my husband for a bit. 

In general, we don't have a fabulous track record with our anniversary.  And it's not Jeff's fault or anything, we just don't usually make it a big deal.  As a matter of fact, I have actually forgotten it before!  Although, to clarify, I knew that our anniversary was the 13th of August, but I didn't know that that particular Tuesday, or whatever, was our anniversary.  And since I forget what the date is on a regular basis anyway, that should come as a surprise to no one.

Anyway, I've been wanting to go somewhere overnight for our anniversary for a few years now, but it's never worked out, mostly because we don't have family in the area, so we don't have anyone to watch all of our kids at one time.  (Seriously, all you people with grandparents readily available really don't know how good you've got it.)  As a matter of fact, we haven't had a night away, just Jeff and me, since Jarom was a year old and we came out to North Carolina to go house hunting.

What I had really wanted to do was to go stay at the Renaissance hotel at North Hills, and go to dinner, and see a movie, etc., because it's all there, and we wouldn't be too far away.  Doesn't it sound fabulous?  But I had resigned myself to it not happening, because of the aforementioned "no family to watch the kids" wrinkle.

HOWEVER!!  Not only had Jeff been listening to me when I was wishing out loud that we could do this fun thing for our anniversary, but he actually took the whole thing in hand and arranged with our good friends who have 4 kids, just like us, all the same ages as our kids, to take our children, and he made the hotel reservation for us, as a surprise, all by himself!!!!

I know!!!! 

It really could not have been more fabulous!  We went to dinner at Firebirds, our favorite steakhouse, bar none, where we had a truly fantastic dinner (filet mignon, anyone?), and then we went to the last Harry Potter movie (yet another present from my sweetie), and after that, when the movie got out ofter midnight, we didn't have to make the long drive home, and then pay the babysitter, and then drive the babysitter home -  all we had to do was walk to the end of the "block" and go to our room!  It was awesome!!!

The next day we got to sleep in as late as we wanted, and then we actually went in to all the fancy shops and boutiques at North Hills that I would never ever go into with my kids.  And then, after we were done window shopping (because there was no way in heck that I was going to actually buy anything at those fancy boutiques.  One place had sequined sweaters for $497!!!  I kid you not!  And the clearance racks were still all over $200!   I was blown away by the senseless materialism) we went to JC Penney where they were having a fantastic sale, and got Jeff some work shirts (all more than 50% off), and me a couple of necklaces (also all on major sale - nothing more than $10).  Now that's my idea of clearance.

To finish out the day we had linner at Bonefish Grill, which I had never been to before, but I will be going again.  They do really good seafood, and I had grilled shrimp and sea scallops with roasted asparagus, which was all incredible.  Just like the weekend!

So please, don't hate me because my husband is awesome.  :o)

1 comment: