Wednesday, September 24, 2008

First Day of School

Well, it's actually been about a month since Jarom and Taran started school, but who's counting? Jarom is in 1st grade, and loves his class and both of his teachers, which is extremely wonderful to me, especially after the fiasco we experienced last year. He complained a little bit about how long the days were the first couple of weeks, but all I could do was agree with him (hey, being gone from 8:30 to 4:30 is long!!) and assure him that he'd get used to it soon. And he has, so that's good. He's fabulous at math, which I find nothing less than miraculous, considering that I still have to resort to counting on my fingers occasionally. He doesn't enjoy "free-writing," but is still a very cheerful, (generally) obedient and helpful student, according to his teachers, so I'm thrilled.

We have this little ritual that we do every morning right after I drop him off at carpool in the mornings: I drive around the circle until my window is facing him, while he waits, and then I wave, give him a "thumbs up", and blow him a kiss. He makes sure that I remember to do it, asking me as he gets out of the car, and it sure helps my sensitive boy have a great day. And his sensitive mom, too, if I'm honest. :o)

Taran has started pre-school, after begging to go to school with Jarom for the last two years, and she loves it so much that she "lurves" it. I walked her into class the first day, and when I came to pick her up she asked me to please just drop her off with all the other kids. She has definitely jumped into school with complete gusto, with nary a look behind her. Quite a change from Mr. Sensitive who cried every day the first two weeks of school, and had to be phyisically carried into the classroom. I understand Jarom's personality, being very similar myself, but I have to admit that Taran's confidence is a refreshing change. She comes home and tells us that her teacher says that they need to "keep our eyes on her, and our lips zipped." She says this with such enthusiasm that I wish I could have some of that carry over to our discipline at home.

Kelcey isn't going to school, of course (I don't believe in pre-school until a kid is 4), but she and I are having some fun experiences together. I keep telling myself that I need to start doing "school-box" with her now, and I will, now that things have settled into somewhat of a routine. She is so verbal, and already recognizing some letters, (ok, two, but still) that I know that I really have got to get going. My mom got me this really great phonics program, plus I bought this huge set of Scholastic books turned into videos, that I know she'd enjoy. Why do I always feel like there's never enough time to do what I want to do, as well as what I need to do? Sigh. :o)

1 comment:

  1. Katie,
    It looks great! Way to go. I'll fix the header and email you the new one! Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete