Monday, May 14, 2012

Potty Training - 4th time's the charm


Once we were sufficiently recovered from our Disney trip (read: all the laundry was done, and we had milk in the house again) I decided that we were going to potty train Ben. He really got interested in using the toilet while we were on our trip, I think because I dragged him into every single one since I had to go all the time, so he had more exposure than usual. Plus he's just ready, and it was time.

We bought 4 packages of Lightning McQueen underwear (his choice) and on Monday we went cold turkey. He only had one accident before he figured out what "that feeling" was, and he went in the toilet way more times than he didn't.

However, Tuesday was a totally different story. He absolutely refused to use the toilet, notwithstanding my begging, tears, and bribes. The honeymoon was over, you could say. The only way I broke through to him was to wait until he literally couldn't hold it anymore and was peeing down his leg, then picked him up, and just sat him down so that he finished on the toilet. Then, of course, I made a big deal about how great he did, and broke out the chocolate candy that I was saving for rewarding #2 behavior.

Since then it has been much, much, much better. He hasn't had an accident in two days, and he will come and tell me when he has to go, so I don't have to follow him around like a hovering hummingbird, constantly asking if he needs to "use the potty". 

Frankly, even though this is my 4th child, potty training still kind of freaks me out, so I am grateful beyond words that Ben seems to have "gotten" it so quickly.  Yet another tender mercy, no?

Plus, I think the fact that I switched to M&M's for the reward has also helped a lot. I mean, really, who doesn't love chocolate?


No comments:

Post a Comment